Sunday, February 22, 2009

Today when I was playing I realized how ridiculous the things we need to do to get a level higher are. I wanted to get to level four so I killed a bunch of wolves... I felt like Sarah Palin. It's kind of sad really, we're just wiping out the entire timber wolf population so we can get a pumpkin or a dagger. Like, I appreciate the pumpkin, but I could also just conjure it myself without causing mass extinction. Something I  noticed about myself though, is that I get sad killing wolves because they're cute and pretty, but I don't mind killing the vermin at all... they're very gross. I guess I'm just feeding into the aesthetic part of it there. 
Also on the aesthetic side, all my guy friends are like, Molly why are you a human? and I'm like duh, because I could make her really pretty. It's the same reason I'm a mage. Again, buying into that, I could make a human mage prettier than any other race, so obviously I picked that. It goes with what we talked about with the Remember Not to Die article-- it's definitely true that I will pick someone prettier even if they're not great at the game. I've always been like that too, I've been playing video games since I was young and I always pick people like Peach or the gorgeous fierce Russian assassin in James Bond games.

Here's a link I found to a funny  article from cracked.com, which you all should read because its hysterical:http://www.cracked.com/article_16782_6-ways-world-warcraft-worse-than-real-life.html
Seriously, the thing about it being like work? YES. It completely gets so monotonous!!! Like, oh I have to go kill another rabbit... why? I just want to do something awesome like have a swordfight. Also the guilds-- it's intimidating! "You might have noticed that most political offices don't have that kind of vetting process." It's funny because it's true. Also number 4: Prejudice is alive and well in the game world. It is! It gets scary being new... I'm always afraid I'll be attacked and pillaged then taken advantage of! I also face prejudice because I'm pretty-- people might think I'm stupid. Which, at this point I still am, but I could totally get completely awesome!! It's too bad, really. 

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the Palin reference and the Cracked article. I wonder, though, what kinds of humor sites the gamers themselves have created?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha I liked the Cracked article- it's very true, WOW is selective. It's like a whole other sub-world with it's own cliques and prejudices. Also, I couldn't agree more with the monotony of it. Trust me though, if you stick it out to level ten (and higher I'm guessing...) the cool little sword battles become more accessible.

    ReplyDelete