Sunday, March 1, 2009

LEVELS

I'm workin' on my levels, man. Katie keeps talking about how awesome level ten is, I just hope its worth walking around killing boars. I'm getting there though, and I'm getting excited for it. Katie also brought up the difference in community when you work your way up the levels-- I'm interested to get there because I'm still pretty intimidated by my surroundings currently. It feels like high school sometimes... I've never auditioned for a cheerleading squad, but I imagine the whole community is a lot like that. In Bring It On, when they have auditions to replace Carver-- that's it. When you're new to it people gawk at you, or similar to the guy who mistook the cheerleading audition to the one for Pippin, people just want to know why you're there. Level six is okay though.
One of the things I do love about the game is how beautiful so much of the scenery is. A lot of the time I just want to wander around looking at the water, or the architecture instead of battling animals and trying to find someone to give me a quest in a pub. It makes me want to have a picnic or have a ride on a magic carpet. It's like a Disney movie, for serious. 

GUYS
I found the most seriously awesome/ridiculous thing ever. And it is a community ont LiveJournal that is pretty much PostSecret... BUT ONLY ABOUT WoW. I die. Some of these are so intense! If you're unfamiliar with PostSecret, it's basically an internet phenomenon where this guy(Frank) started a site where people anonymously mail secrets to him on post cards, and he posts them on the internet. It's very cool, you can check it out at www.postsecret.com... new updates every Sunday. Annnywayyyyyys... this is kind of the same thing, except the secrets are submitted via internet to a photobucket, and posted to the LJ community by mods. 
The thing that is really cool to me about this is that PostSecret is about life in general... there is so much about this world/community that people invest themselves in that they were able to create an entire reproduction of PostSecret simply about WoW. You can find the community here @ community.livejournal.com/wow_secrets. Example-- this one girl submitted a secret about how her guild leader keeps hitting on her and she's not sure what to say, and how another officer who apparently lives nearby asked her out too. She expresses her fear that she's accidentally become the "princess" of the guild. 
This is fascinating to me because it also relates to the women in video games articles/discussions we've had. This girl could be amazing at WoW, but is still sort of pigeonholed into this "guild hottie" corner because her character is really pretty. Her guild superiors don't see her as much more than the pretty one, or at least she feels that way. Hmm... 


later. 
mollz 

1 comment:

  1. WoW Secrets is a great find! I like you commentary on it as well. I wonder what other popular sites have been revamped for the WoW community?

    ReplyDelete